Passport Acceptance Facility
The City of Rancho Santa Margarita is an authorized U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility.
Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. by Appointment
Routine Renewals are NOT processed at this facility - please read below:
Requirements for Obtaining a Passport Book
If you are renewing a passport that was issued less than 15 years ago, and you were at least 16 years of age at the time the passport was issued, you must renew by mail. Use Form DS-82 and follow the instructions. We are prohibited by the State Department to process routine renewals. If you do not meet these qualifications, you will need to complete a first-time passport application, Form DS-11, apply in person and present the required documentation.
If you are a first-time applicant or your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you MUST:
- Appear in person and complete a passport application (Form DS-11) using black ink.
- Do not sign the application until requested to do so.
- It is mandatory that applicants, under the age of 16, appear with both parents or legal guardians. If one parent is absent, the applying parent must present a notarized consent document, or court document proving sole custody, or a death certificate.
- Applicants 16 - 17 years old can apply on their own if they have a valid government-issued identification such as a Driver's License or Identification Card. However, it is recommended at least one parent accompany the applicant for parental awareness.
You will need the following:
1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship in the form of:
- Previous U.S. Passport, or
- Certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, or
- Certificate of Naturalization.
Photocopies of these documents are not acceptable. Applicants under 16 years of age, using a previous passport or Certificate of Citizenship must also provide the certified birth certificate to prove the parental relationship.
Certified birth certificates may be obtained through the South County Branch Office of the Orange County Clerk-Recorder's office located in Laguna Hills. For more information, visit the Orange County Recorder's website. Please note: CALIFORNIA BIRTH ABSTRACTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. PASSPORT APPLICANTS BORN IN CALIFORNIA MUST SUBMIT LONG FORM PHOTO REPRODUCTION CERTIFIED COPIES OF BIRTH RECORDS.
Please note: we will send in the original/certified copies of all documents required to prove your citizenship. If you wish to have a copy for your records, please make it before you come.
2. One Passport Photo
Photo must be in color, 2” x 2” in size with a white or off-white background, taken within the last six months. The photograph should be taken in normal street attire—Uniforms, or clothing that looks like a uniform, cannot be worn in the photo. No glasses of any type or non-religious headwear may be worn.
The City provides passport photo services at $10.00 per applicant.
3. Picture Identification AND a photocopy of the ID
You must bring a photocopy of the driver’s license or other photo I.D. (front and back of I.D., one-sided) that you are presenting as proof of identity:
- Valid driver’s license, or
- California ID card, or
- Military ID card, or
- Naturalization Certificate issued within the last year.
Adults may show a current, valid U.S. driver’s license or U.S. state-issued identification card, Military I.D. card or Government-issued photo I.D. card. If you have an out-of-state I.D., you will need a second photo I.D. as well. Photocopy of ID Also, you must bring a photocopy of the driver’s license or other photo I.D. (front and back of I.D., one-sided) that you are presenting as proof of identity
No exceptions can be made for any reason to the above requirements.
|Age||Passport Fee||Execution Fee||Total|
|16 and over||$110.00||$35.00||$145.00|
|15 and under||$80.00||$35.00||$115.00|
Passport Fees are payable to the US State Department by check or money order ONLY.
Execution Fees photo, and photocopy fees are payable to the City of Rancho Santa Margarita. We accept checks, money orders and cash.
If you are renewing a passport that was issued less than 15 years ago, and you were at least 16 years of age at the time the passport was issued, you must renew by mail. Use Form DS-82 and follow the instructions. If you do not meet these qualifications, you will need to complete a first-time passport application, Form DS-11, apply in person and present the required documentation.